vision automobile

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When do license plates expire?

A: Individuals: tags expire on the primary owner’s birthday. No grace period.

Business or business lease registration periods, counties with year-round registration:
If your business name(1) begins with the following alpha character, your registration period would be the month listed to the right of the alpha character shown below. Example: If your name is Mack's Florist, your registration period would be the month of July.
  • A or B last day of January
  • C or D last day of February
  • E or F last day of March
  • G or H last day of April
  • I or J last day of May
  • K or L last day of June
  • M or N last day of July
  • O or P last day of August
  • Q or R last day of September
  • S or T last day of October
  • U, V or W last day of November
  • X, Y, or Z last day of December

(1) The first alpha character of the business name that appears first on your vehicle's title and/or tag registration certificate (tag receipt) determines the month designated as your registration period.

Registration Period For Vehicles Weighing Over 26,000 Pounds (Non-IRP) and Trucks Transporting Forest Products(2)?For these type vehicles, your registration period is: December 1 through February 15.

(2) Vehicles operating interstate in this category must obtain an apportioned license plate. Apportioned license plates are issued by this Department's International Registration Plan (IRP) of the Motor Vehicle Division.

Q: What vehicles require Emission Testing prior to registration?

A: 2011 and older model year gasoline-powered car or light truck (up to 8,500 lbs. gross vehicle weight rating) AND you are a resident of one of the covered counties (see below) AND your vehicle is registered in that county then you need to have it inspected. 2012, 2013 and 2014 vehicles are exempt.

Covered counties: Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding and Rockdale.

The three most recent model year vehicles are exempt from emission testing each year. For registration in 2014, this includes all 2012 and newer model year vehicles.

Vehicles that are 25 model years or older are exempt from emission testing. This includes 1989 and older model year vehicles.

Aside from Repair Waivers, you may qualify for certain extensions or exemptions from testing.

Senior Citizen Exemption - for seniors 65 years old or older who meet certain requirements regarding the vehicle and annual miles driven.

Out of Area Extension - If you and your vehicle are temporarily located out of the area (more than a two-hour drive from a Georgia emission testing station) due to student, military or business obligations, you may qualify for an Out of Area Extension.

Things to remember:

  • A vehicle's model year is the year your vehicle was built as designated by the vehicle manufacturer.
  • Certain exemptions and extensions may apply to your vehicle:
    • Motorcycles, recreational vehicles (RVs) and motor homes do not require emission testing for registration.
    • Diesel vehicles do not require emission testing for registration.

For additional information go to:

Q: Do I need insurance?

A: Yes. Individuals are required to have their insurance downloaded by their insurance company into Georgia’s DMV Gratis website.

Companies must have a valid insurance card showing coverage is for a “fleet” vehicle. A company without a fleet of vehicles must have their insurance company download insurance information into Georgia’s DMV Gratis website.

Q: Where can I find information about the new TAVT tax rules?

A: On the Georgia Department of Revenue website.

item1Contact Us

Phone: 404-768-7162
Fax: 404-768-1028

3420 Northside Drive
Hapeville, GA 30354

Office Hours: Monday - Friday 9:30am - 5:30pm

General Public by Appointment Only • Title Bonds accepted via fax request.